Do you feel uncomfortable laughing, smiling, or even talking around others because of a missing tooth? You are likely not alone: according to the American College of Prosthodontists, an estimated 120 million Americans are missing at least one tooth. Fortunately, there is a range of modern dentistry options today that can restore your smile and your confidence, including bridges, partial and full dentures, and dental implants. But which option is right for you? Below are 4 major reasons why a dental implant in Crown Point is the ideal tooth replacement solution.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a rod or screw-like post, typically manufactured out of titanium, that is surgically placed into the jawbone beneath the gums. By fusing with the bone through a process called osseointegration, dental implants mimic the natural tooth root structure and provide a stable base for a new crown or bridge.
Dental implant treatment is usually completed in multiple steps over the course of several months:
- During a consultation visit, your dentist will take X-rays of your teeth and jaw
- The next step is the implantation surgery followed by a healing period of several months
- After healing is complete your dentist will attach an extension, called an abutment, to the implant. Your gum tissue will heal around the post
- Finally, a custom-made crown is created and attached to the abutment. Your smile is now whole again!
4 Advantages of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer a range of benefits that set them apart from other restorative dentistry solutions like dentures or bridges. Here are 4 major advantages of dental implants:
- 1: Long-Term Solution – With proper oral care, dental implants can last for several decades – now that is something to smile about!
- 2: Prevent a Sunken Face – Gaps in your smile can lead to your face looking sunken and aged. Like natural teeth, dental implants help support the shape and structure of your face.
- 3: Natural Appearance – Dental implants are custom-designed to perfectly match the shape and color of your natural teeth. They will blend right in with the rest of your smile!
- 4: Keep Eating Your Favorite Foods – Dentures can slip in your mouth, especially when eating hard foods like apples. Because dental implants offer nearly the same chewing power as natural teeth, you do not have to worry about what foods are on your plate.
Am I a Good Candidate?
With a success rate of 98%, dental implants are a reliable solution for most adult men and women with missing teeth. Dental implantation is more likely to be successful if:
- You have healthy gums
- You have adequate jawbone depth
- You have excellent oral hygiene habits
Hopefully, it is clear now why dental implants are the ideal tooth replacement solution. If you are ready to rejuvenate your smile and restore your confidence, talk to a dentist in Crown Point about dental implants today.
About the Author
Dr. Daniel Berquist provides compassionate and quality dental care to patients in Crown Point and Whiting. An active member of the Indiana Dental Association, he enjoys helping patients achieve healthy and whole smiles. For more information about dental implants, patients can visit the Berquist Family Dentistry website or call Dr. Berquist at 219-226-0544.